Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Paradise Found

So this is a tribute to my favorite place in the world...Cozumel.

I've been going since 1992 and I love it there. I had hoped when I married my husband in 2000 that he would love it as much as I did and we could make it our tradition. Thanks to some horrible, uh, gastrointestinal issues due to a severe allergic reaction to some medication he took (he likes to tell people I tried to poison him on our honeymoon, which is partially true, but I swear I didn't mean to), he does not care if he ever sets foot back in Mexico again. So for the past four years, it's been a girl thang.

Me and my friend (we'll call her Dr. Barbie...she's tall, skinny, blonde, and while she's isn't a doctor yet, she will be soon) have gone for increasing amounts of time each year. The first year, it was 4 nts/5 days...I think we actually repeated that the following year as well. Last year it was 7 nts/8 days. This year it's 8 nts/9 days. Pretty soon,we'll just move down there (joking, kidding, well, kind of).

It's 32 days until my vacation begins. I am looking forward to it. Of course, I've been off work for three days at this point with the affectionately and aptly named purple eye funk. It's just amazing to step back from everyday life for an entire week and not have to do anything you don't want to do. That is the way to relax. I swear, the most difficult decisions we had to make last year dealt with sunscreen SPF and diving schedules.

And I swear, our trips to Coz make me a better person...Here I'm this horribley aggressive driver (Move bitch, the left lane is not a turning lane, get the fuck out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!as I turn purple and my bloodpressure creeps up). We rent a car in Coz and end up driving 10 mph behind a donkey cart on the way to the deserted beach (what can I say, we're anti-social) while people on bikes pass us (kind of like the man w/the walked in Office Space)and I'm perfectly content going "ho,hum the skies pretty...the waves are pretty, oh, look the sands pretty, look at the water, isn't it pretty, etc, etc. Of course as soon as I hit Dallas traffic leaving DFW that shits out the window.

Then there's the diving. Man, it's a whole other world down there. Serene, peaceful. It's where I go when people do relaxation exercises and tell you to imagine the most peaceful place you can think of...It's just amazing. Of course, our first drift dive (the currents were pretty strong that day too) was a bit of an experience...I was overweighted and Barbie was underweighted, so I dropped like a rock and she couldn't get down. And our dive group was already zooming with the current. I've never held hands with another woman more than on that dive.

There are so many good memories...sunning on the deck of a catmarran in the middle of the caribbean, chilling out to Jimmy Buffet tunes...Coasties!!!...the island style men (I may be married, but I'm not dead or blind (at least yet)...Chank on a Sunday afternoon...Carlos & Charlie's waitstaff making paper flowers for our hair...TEQUILA SHOTS!!!!!...the lighthouse...being drunk and taking lewd contrived pictures with the cardboard cutouts (I'll have to find that pic and post it)...the crocodile swim...Coconuts...sliding down the kiddie slide at 3am in a dress (no occifer, there was no drinking)...

It's kind of like the bad stuff (which is far and few between) turn in to good memories (or at least memorable experiences). Like sliding down the slide. In a short black dress. In a thong. That is visible in the pictures. Or waking early after said slide experience on the day of departure only to find out our flight has been moved up and we have 15 minutes to get to the pickup location. I'll never forget Barbie telling me to shut up and going back to sleep. She thought I was kidding. Only after realizing that I was madly packing shit up did she leap out of bed. Then being incredibly sickly hungover at the airport. Not a good thing. I can honestly say we have never partied the night before we departed again. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me!!! Let's just say it was a learning experience.

So here's to this year's trip and the memories to be made...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments:

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs